Sunday, April 24, 2022

Small House Organizing Tip #3 - Turn a half bookshelf into a shoe rack

In our old house, we had a closet just inside our front door that needed to serve a few functions. It was tiny, but we needed to keep 6 people's shoes, jackets, gloves, and scarves. Our master closet was about double the size of this so we also didn't have room to store any shoes in there. So when I say 6 people's shoes, I mean ALL the shoes. Thankfully none of us were shoe addicts, but I definitely had more than anyone else! I thought I would share our solution in case it would help anyone else.

We had a half bookshelf left over from college days that we didn't need for anything else that just so happened to be the right size to fit in the closet. We adjusted the shelves to maximize usage and even added an extra shelf from another bookshelf we had. It worked really well for our purposes!

To keep things semi organized, we assigned a shelf to taller shoes, one for flip flops, and one for the kids. That way the kids wouldn't bury my husband's shoes where he couldn't find them or get my nicer shoes covered in dirt.


To further maximize space, I hung a cheap tension rod on one end of the closet just above the built in rod. I looped scarves on this to keep them easily accessible but out of the way.



I hope this helps our small house readers! We did everything we could to maximize space in our little home and it served us well!

No comments: