Thursday, April 21, 2022

Meal Planning Tip #2 - Meal List

One thing that really helped me was creating a list of meals my family likes to eat. It's easy for me to get stuck cooking the same things over and over and forget things we used to eat. It's like we get in a rut for a little while, try some new things, and then get in a rut eating those over and over. I easily forget things we haven't made in a few weeks. Making a list of meals is a big help. 

One clarification, in our house, my kids make breakfast for themselves. I'm not a morning person and this helps me out a lot! I make sure they have plenty of healthy things to eat that they can make for themselves. Yes, this list includes cereal, but I only buy them the healthier ones. They each get a box a week and after that, they have to eat something else. So the breakfast list is just to help me make sure everything is in stock in our house. They know to eat one serving of a main dish, one fruit, one yogurt tube, and one protein (cottage cheese or sausage links) along with a glass of milk. About milk, yes there are a lot of choices listed! My kids that are growing like weeds drink whole milk, my kids who aren't growing much at the moment drink 2%, I drink soy, and one of my kids is lactose intolerant.

Here's a sample:

Breakfast
Cereal
Oatmeal
Grits
Cream of Wheat
Leftover French Toast, Pancakes, and Waffles
Yogurt Tubes
Sausage Links
Cottage Cheese
Milk (whole, 2%, Soy, and lactose free)

 Lunch:
PB&J Sandwiches
Lunch meat and Cheese Sandwiches
Triangle Sandwiches (ours are not this fancy)
Farfalle Pasta (bowtie)
Mac n Cheese
Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
Tortilla Pizzas

Dinner:
Spaghetti
Fajitas
Pancakes
Tacos
Burritos
Fish
Sausage Gravy Biscuits
Fried Rice
Hamburgers
Hot Dogs
Baked Potatoes
Eggs & Bacon
Soup
Roast
Taquitos
Lasagna

This is not an exhaustive list by any means, but it's just some things I could come up with off the top of my head without the list in front of me. I added links for some of them. They are not necessarily where I got this recipe from, but at least somewhere that shows what I'm referring to. 

I pull this list out when I'm menu planning to make coming up with meals easier.

Edited to add: Here is a copy of an old list I found. I need to write up a new one!


I hope this is helpful!

           

No comments: