Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Meal Planning Tip #1 - Shop From Your Pantry First


Let me start by saying menu planning has been a big learning curve for me over the last 15 years and I by no means have this all figured out. But, I would like to share things I've learned over the years to hopefully help you as well.

I always used to get overwhelmed because the process felt like too many steps and I always got hung up on one. So I decided to just keep trying and every time I felt like I failed, look at where I got stuck, and troubleshoot that step. I have so many tips to share but I will start with this one today.

Look around your kitchen (and house?) to see what food you still have that you may have forgotten about. That random box of pasta, the few remaining potatoes, some meat in your freezer, etc. Then plan meals including those items first. Sometimes I realize I have almost everything I have for a meal and just need to buy a side item. 

For example, if I have ground turkey in the freezer and a bag of tortilla chips in the pantry, I can make tacos. I keep the spices to make taco seasoning on hand and also tortillas. So all I need to buy is crunchy taco shells. I'll serve it with salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, frozen corn, and black beans. Most of those things I keep on hand in my house. 

If I have a few large potatoes left, I make fries. I do that by coating them in olive oil and sea salt after washing and cutting them. Then I cook them on 400 degrees until they are done. Or I could cut them in smaller pieces, coat them in olive oil, and roast them in the oven on 350 degrees until they are soft. I prefer to do this with sweet potatoes, red potatoes, yellow potatoes, and purple potatoes. I like making fries out of russet potatoes.

If I have a box of macaroni noodles, ground beef or turkey in the freezer, and a couple jars of sauce in the pantry, I make macaroni spaghetti. My kids actually prefer this over regular spaghetti!

Added 5/26/22 - Currently, I have a bag of rice and part of a bag of frozen grilled chicken strips so we are having fried rice for dinner tonight. I also have flour, yeast, sauce, cheese, and pepperoni so we are having homemade pizza tomorrow night. That buys me two days to plan out the next weeks meals and order groceries. 

           

No comments: