Sunday, May 15, 2022

First Impressions of Misfits Market


I have been buying food from Imperfect Foods off and on for 2 years now. Recently, I found out about Misfits Market and decided to give it a try. 


When I opened up the box, I noticed it was insulated with a padding that is curbside recyclable. Although non-plastic would be better, I very much appreciate that it is easily recyclable!


Under the padding was a cardboard layer with an ice block. Under that, was brown paper filler to fill up the box.


Under the paper were all my items. The paper you are seeing is the radishes and cilantro wrapped in paper. I actually really appreciate this because when I order cilantro from Imperfect foods, part of it always ends up all over the box.




I also really like that the flour was bagged separately and that it was packaged in something compostable.


My favorite part is that it actually specifies that it is backyard compostable. As someone with a simple compost pile in the backyard, I really appreciate this clarification. Not everything that says compostable can actually break down in basic piles. Some require the higher heat that a commercial facility would have.


Here are all of the items I chose this time. Although I know I would be able to get more for the same money through Imperfect Foods, since I can get conventional produce, I am very happy with the prices I got on these items this time! The quality seems to be top notch as well!


They offered a $15 off coupon for your first order which made things quite cheap! I decided to compare the prices of stuff I bought (before the coupon) to what Imperfect Foods prices the same items for. They didn't have everything I bought, but here are the items I was able to compare.

Organic Bunched Cilantro
Misfits Market - $1.49     Imperfect Foods - $1.49

Organic Rainbow Carrots
Misfits Market - $1.39 (1 lb.)     Imperfect Foods - $4.49 (2 lbs.)

Organic Grape/Cherry Tomatoes
Misfits Market - $3.29     Imperfect Foods - $3.99

Organic Bunched Red Radishes
Misfits Market - $2.09     Imperfect Foods - $2.99

Organic Spring Mix (5 oz.)
Misfits Market - $3.19     Imperfect Foods - $4.49

I have been very happy with Imperfect Foods because I can have good quality produce delivered to my house, for a great price. I don't buy organic most of the time because I just can't justify that in my grocery budget. I really like that I have a choice to get conventional product with Imperfect Foods. Which does allow me to get way more produce for my money. But, it's good to know that I can get a good deal on organic produce from Misfits Market! I also got other things like fruit loops for my husband for cheap and unbleached flour.

I do think I will continue to order from Misfits Market from time to time.

My shopping windows for both stores do not over lap so I cannot directly compare prices at the same time. But, I have another order coming from Imperfect Foods during my shopping window for Misfits Market, so I will compare the item prices from that order and let you know how they compare!

Check out what is available around you for "imperfect" produce. These companies deliveries are not available everywhere, but there are also smaller companies offering a similar service locally. 

Misfits Market did give me a code for anyone interested in trying them out. If you decide to use my code, you will save $20 on your first order and I will save $20 on a future order. Click below if you'd like to go check them out!



No comments: