Friday, May 20, 2011

Yummy Homemade Vegetable Soup

Did I mention this is so yummy! My husband had a taste (thinking it would be bland) and said, "woah, this is tasty soup!"

I used the recipe on the back of the Kroger 14 oz. can of vegetable broth for a guideline but I tweaked it with what I had on hand and LOVE the outcome! Here you go:

Ingredients:
  • 3 bags (12 oz.) frozen "vegetable soup mix" (Kroger brand)
  • 3 cans (14 oz.) vegetable broth
  • 1 can (29 oz.) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed or diced tomatoes (if diced, run them through the food processor before adding to recipe)
  • 3 tsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 2 tsp. dried cilantro
  • 3/8 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
Directions:
  • Add everything to a large pot (I used a pasta pot with the strainer removed)
  • Turn the soup on high to boil
  • Once boiling, reduce to medium heat and cover. Stir occasionally.
  • Remove from heat once the vegetables are done (and your preferred softness).
  • Remove 1 - 1 1/2 cups of vegetables from the soup along with 1/4 cup liquid and put into the food processor. Pulse until veggies are somewhat pureed. Add back to pot of soup and mix thoroughly.
This makes at LEAST 10 cups. We ate a few portions ourselves before I divided it out to freeze and still ended up with just under 8 cups to freeze. So the amount could even be closer to 12 cups! I'll add the exact amount next time I make it. Until then, just know it's a lot! This is a great soup to make ahead to freeze for nights that you don't have time to cook or to bring to someone who is needing friends to bring food to them.

Price:

This is a fairly cheap soup as well. The bags of vegetables are $0.88 a piece at Kroger. I forget how much the broth is but I don't think it's more then $2.00/can. In fact I'm thinking it's closer to $1.50/can. The tomato sauce is definitely under $2.00. And the diced tomatoes always seem to be hanging around my house even though I have nothing to use them for! Well, until now!!! Everything else is just seasonings we always have on hand.

Enjoy!
           

No comments: