Friday, January 27, 2023

How to make magnetic bookmarks

Happy 2023! I hope this blog post finds you doing well!
I had fun making my cat loving daughters these magnetic bookmarks a few weeks ago. I purchased this file from MokileArt store on Etsy. They turned out so cute and my daughters loved them!


First, print out the file on card stock. I printed them in full color with the setting "4 sheets to a page" so they turned out this cute little size. I trimmed off the large extra white parts so I could recycle as much of the paper as possible. Once it's laminated, all the trimmings have to go into the trash. I left enough blank space to keep the bookmarks from sliding around in the laminating sheet.
        


Next, I ran it through the laminator. All the book marks fit in one laminating sheet. I realized after it was running through, I could have laminated a few small things with it that I have laying around. But that thought occurred to me AFTER the sheet was going through the machine. Fitting as many things in the laminating sheet as possible is what I usually try to do to cut down waste.


Once they come out, it is important to let the sheet sit and cool for a minute so they are as flat as possible. Then I trimmed off the excess paper and plastic from each sheet. I also left a little white border on each one to make it the perfect size.

The next step is to fold them in half. This is definitely harder now that they are laminated, but not too difficult. When you fold them, a little of the laminating paper will probably come de-laminated at the fold, that is okay. That's an easy fix. Now we are going to fold a piece of paper in half and then place one of the bookmarks, on that folded seam. Then we are going to stick them, one at a time, in the laminater seam side first to re-laminate that fold and to make the fold tighter.



Next, pull out your chosen magnets; these are the ones I use. Carefully stick them on both sides of the inside of the bookmark. Test the magnet pieces together before you stick them on to make sure they will attract and not repel each other.



And that's it! You are done! Aren't they so stinkin' cute?! My cat obsessed daughters are loving them! They have already decided which pets of ours or Warrior Cats characters each of them represent.



If you decide to make these, let me know how it goes! I hope you enjoy these as much as my daughters have!



No comments: