Friday, January 28, 2011

Smoothies

An easy way to get fruit into your kids is to make them smoothies. My kids love them! They consider it a treat. They are a great breakfast or snack option...or really you could even use them for a desert if you like! Here is my favorite recipe (from weelicious):
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup fruit
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup milk
She calls it the "Smoothie Your Way", and that is exactly what it is. I love this recipe because it leaves lots of wiggle room to make it just the way you or your kids like it...or need it. My littlest one is lactose intolerant so I use lactose free milk. I found a tub of vanilla organic yogurt on clearance so I used that in place of the plain yogurt. You can use whatever fresh fruit you have on hand or you can choose from the variety of frozen fruit that stores carry. It really is up to you. There are lots of smoothie recipes out there, but I suggest you give this one a try if you'd like to have some freedom with the recipe.

I have a 3 cup food processor and this recipe works in there great. It is listed on her site as being one serving, but it makes two servings for my boys.

On a side note, if you haven't ever checked out Weelicious, I strongly advise you to. It has LOTS of great healthy recipes to serve your family.

No comments: